I am looking for a psychotherapist. What are the different options available to me?
If you are an adult over the age of 21, the British Psychotherapy Foundation offers three routes to a referral.
1. I would like to contact a therapist directly.
If you would like to contact a therapist yourself, please use our Online Directory:
- If you wish to contact a therapist directly, please search our online directory. This includes therapists working within greater London and nationally.
- All therapists listed are members of the British Psychotherapy Foundation, registered with and bound by the Codes of Practice set out by the British Psychoanalytic Council.
2. I think it would be helpful for me to talk to someone before contacting a therapist.
If you would like to have a face to face consultation to think about your psychotherapeutic needs, then you can contact our Clinical Services:
CLINICAL REFERRAL APPLICATION PROCESS
- Our assessment consultation service leads to referral to a suitable qualified psychotherapist and member of the British Psychotherapy Foundation.
- We will arrange a face to face assessment with an experienced psychotherapist, where you will have the opportunity to find out more about what psychotherapy entails and whether it is a suitable choice, without any obligation. There is a charge of £75 for this consultation.
- A psychotherapist will then be recommended, taking into account areas of expertise, your circumstances with regard to travel and financial means, and gender preference if relevant.
- Psychotherapists in private practice offer varying rates. Fees will be discussed at your assessment consultation and with the psychotherapist you are referred to.
Clinical Services Administrator:
Telephone: 020 8438 2415 from 10-3.30pm
3. I would like to see someone more than once a week, but cannot afford a full fee.
If you are seeking intensive psychotherapy at a low fee, the British Psychotherapy Foundation offers a limited number of vacancies. Please contact one of our Low Fee Service Organisers to discuss this further:
INTENSIVE PSYCHOTHERAPY LOW FEE SERVICE
- The bpf offers intensive Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis or Jungian Analysis at a low fee.
- Intensive psychotherapy involves two, three or four sessions per week.
- You are asked to make a two year minimum commitment.
- The therapy is offered by experienced trainees at an advanced stage of their training.
- The maximum fee is kept at £25 per session.
- Please note that the Low Fee Service is subject to availability. The location of current vacancies and contact details can be found below.
- Please contact one of our Low Fee Service Organisers if you would like to explore whether intensive treatment is appropriate for you:
Gillian Baker – 07464704983
Current vacancies for one female patient in Colchester, for one male patient in Kensal Green, and for one female patient in Finchley, North London
Christina McNicol - 07746 934518
Current vacancy for one male patient in Walthamstow
Sally Rose - 07512 242900
Current vacancies for two male patients in Central London and one male patient in West Hampstead *
Mary Ann Reinisch – 07849 916287
Current vacancies for one male patient in Wimbledon, for one female patient in Beckenham, for one female patient in Victoria, and for one male or female patient in Southgate.
Eileen Smith – 07399 881068
Current vacancies for one male patient in Reading, for one male patient in Edgware, for one male or female patient in Gospel Oak (Camden), for one male or female patient in Hertford, Herts, and for one male or female patient in Exeter.
Hannah Ward - 0118 9799705
Current male or female vacancies in Oxford and Marlow.
CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHOTHERAPY SERVICES
If you are seeking a referral for a child or adolescent under the age of 21 please contact our Clinical Services Coordinator at email@example.com for further information.
For further information about our therapy services please contact our Clinical Services Administrator on 0208 4382415 or at firstname.lastname@example.org OR COMPLETE THE ONLINE ENQUIRY BELOW