I am looking for a psychotherapist. What are the different options available to me?
If you are an adult over the age of 21, the British Psychotherapy Foundation offers three routes to a referral.
1. I would like to contact a therapist directly.
If you would like to contact a therapist yourself, please use our Online Directory:
- If you wish to contact a therapist directly, please search our online directory. This includes therapists working within greater London and nationally.
- All therapists listed are members of the British Psychotherapy Foundation, registered with and bound by the Codes of Practice set out by the British Psychoanalytic Council.
2. I think it would be helpful for me to talk to someone before contacting a therapist.
If you would like to have a face to face consultation to think about your psychotherapeutic needs, then you can contact our Clinical Services:
CLINICAL REFERRAL APPLICATION PROCESS
- Our assessment consultation service leads to referral to a suitable qualified psychotherapist and member of the British Psychotherapy Foundation.
- We will arrange a face to face assessment with an experienced psychotherapist, where you will have the opportunity to find out more about what psychotherapy entails and whether it is a suitable choice, without any obligation. There is a charge of £75 for this consultation.
- A psychotherapist will then be recommended, taking into account areas of expertise, your circumstances with regard to travel and financial means, and gender preference if relevant.
- Psychotherapists in private practice offer varying rates. Fees will be discussed at your assessment consultation and with the psychotherapist you are referred to.
Clinical Services Administrator:
Telephone: 020 8438 2415 from 10-3.30pm
3. I would like to see someone more than once a week, but cannot afford a full fee.
If you are seeking intensive psychotherapy at a low fee, the British Psychotherapy Foundation offers a limited number of vacancies. Please contact one of our Low Fee Service Organisers to discuss this further:
INTENSIVE PSYCHOTHERAPY LOW FEE SERVICE
- The bpf offers intensive Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis or Jungian Analysis at a low fee.
- Intensive psychotherapy involves two, three or four sessions per week.
- You are asked to make a two year minimum commitment.
- The therapy is offered by experienced trainees at an advanced stage of their training.
- The maximum fee is kept at £25 per session.
- Please note that the Low Fee Service is subject to availability. The location of current vacancies and contact details can be found below.
- Please contact one of our Low Fee Service Organisers if you would like to explore whether intensive treatment is appropriate for you:
Gillian Baker – 07464704983
Current vacancies for one female patient in Colchester and for one male patient in Kensal Green
Christina McNicol - 07746 934518
Current vacancy for one male patient in Walthamstow
Sally Rose - 07512 242900
Current vacancies for two male patients in Central London and one male patient in West Hampstead *
Mary Ann Reinisch – 07849 916287
Current vacancies for one male patient in Wimbledon, and for one female patient in Beckenham.
Eileen Smith – 07399 881068
Current vacancies for a male patient in Reading, for one male or female patient in Highgate, and for one male patient in Edgware
Hannah Ward - 0118 9799705
Current male or female vacancies in Oxford and Marlow.
CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHOTHERAPY SERVICES
If you are seeking a referral for a child or adolescent under the age of 21 please contact our Clinical Services Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
For further information about our therapy services please contact our Clinical Services Administrator on 0208 4382415 or at email@example.com OR COMPLETE THE ONLINE ENQUIRY BELOW